Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sell your old stuff and make some money!

Recently I've been listing and selling my items on an app called "Mercari." If you haven't heard of it, it's an app where you can buy and sell your stuff and make some extra cash. Within the last month I've sold close to $400 worth of my old junk! (Did your jaw just drop because mine did when I added all the payments up!) Here's a little about the app and how to start selling!

There are some rules to the app such as no selling food items or unsafe items. The list of their terms can be found on their app. They take 0% of your profits...that's right, you get to keep 100% of what you earn and payment is easy! (It's a little slow, though!) Also, shipping is SUPER simple! You have two options:
  1. They send you a label - That's right! Just choose the weight of the item and when someone purchases it, they'll email you a label that's ready to print! Just package, print and ship!
  2. Ship the item yourself - Some (like myself) prefer to ship the items themselves. I use PayPal for my smaller, lighter items because it's cheaper. Any item 15.9 lbs or heavier I ship with them for a cheaper option!
So, how do you get paid? Ok, like I mentioned before it's a bit of a long process but so worth it once you start earning! Once you sell an item, you put your banking info into the app for payment, but you don't get it right away. You must ship the item and the buyer must receive it AND rate you before they'll release your money to you. I know this is a little annoying, but once I started selling and saw my balance going up and up I realized the hold was a good thing. It helped me save up and by the time I cashed out, I was cashing out at over $100 per week! After the buyer rates you and you rate them, your money will turn to Mercari credits. You can use these to purchase something within the app or you can request a payment to turn it into cold, hard cash in your bank account. Money transfers happen on Mondays of the following week and usually deposit into your bank account within two days. I usually receive my money on Wednesday's but my sister's cash deposits on Tuesday. It just depends on your bank!


What should you sell? Anything within the terms! Here's a few ideas to get you started:

Unwanted gifts! Ever get a gift that you just don't like? Maybe you're not that size or maybe you just don't know what your Aunt Sally was thinking when she bought you that panda eye mask...what are you, five? (That's just an example, I actually just bought this eye mask...shhhh...) Selling gifts you don't want is a great way to make a little extra cash! Depending on the item, new can sell for more than half of retail, gently used can sell for about 50% off the retail price and used but still functional can sell from 20-40% of retail! Not bad for something you shoved under your bed and haven't thought about since, eh?
Old clothes! Too big? Too small? Not your style anymore? Sell it! From bathing suits to jeans to brand new VS panties - you can sell it all! You choose the price. The cheaper it is the faster it sells, but I've listed some brand new and lightly used items for a little more than half of retail and they sold right away! It just depends on what it is and who's online to see it!

I just purchased two dresses and a cardigan last week for only $14 including shipping! What a steal! Even if you're not interested in selling, I'd recommend checking it out for great deals!
Handmade items! What a great way to start your own business! So you like everything you own...no problem! If you're crafty, make a little extra cash selling what you love to make! I handmade and sell hair bows and have seen many crafty, successful businesses on Mercari! I've got my eye on an engraved penny key chain for my sister's graduation gift! Let your imagination run wild!


There are so many other items you can get together and sell, these are just a few. I've sold clothes, shoes, beauty supplies, large quantities of shampoo/conditioner/toothpaste/etc, video games, stuffed animals, childrens clothes and more! The possibilities are endless and the cash just keeps flowing in!

That's it! It's that simple! It seems a little tedious at first but once you start selling and get the hang of it you'll be hooked and rummaging through your closet for more things to sell!

No comments:

Post a Comment